Re: CSS property for visually hiding an element

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2017 10:33:32 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
On 03/04/17 15:21, Oliver Joseph Ash wrote:
> It is quite common for web developers to require an element to be hidden
> but only visually—that is, still accessible to screen readers and
> keyboard users, but not visible on the screen.

In principle, hiding visually, but not from a screen reader would be
done by:

@media screen {
    display: none;
}

However, I suspect that screen readers try too hard to approximate the
visual web page experience, that they will ignore hints aimed at them in
this way, simply because they are too rarely used to justify the
development effort.