[css-align] Block-axis Baselines [css-flexbox][css-tables][css-grid]

On 09/03/2016 07:09 PM, Mats Palmgren wrote:> On 08/18/2016 02:52 AM, Dael Jackson wrote:
>> Wrong assumptions about baselines only occurring in the inline axis
>>
>>   <Rossen> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/197
>>   fantasai: Mats pointed out we define block-axis baselines and
>>             there's restrictions on how they applied so he filed
>>             issues to remove them.
>
> To be clear: I requested that the *restrictions* be removed; in other
> words: that baseline alignment should be symmetrical in both axis.

Right. And we checked in the attempted fix to do that initially, see
   https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/197#issuecomment-233786649

>>             In the process of trying to do
>>             that...we checked in a bunch of changes and fremy was
>>             concerned. Last week we talked about a bunch of this
>>             stuff and came up with reason it won't work.
>
> Could you list which problems you came up with in detail, please?

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/197#issuecomment-239996012

A few concerns were brought up:

   * Disabling the feature makes for less complexity, less testing, etc.

   * It was initially set up with the assumption that orthogonal boxes
     fall back to start alignment instead of synthesizing a baseline;
     but there were concerns about
       a) boxes without a baseline an orthogonal boxes behaving differently
       b) using fallback alignment for boxes without a baseline in grid/flex
          but synthesizing a baseline in tables/inline
     There was a desire to keep these consistent.

   * There was no reasonable answer for the case given in the comment above,
     specifically, a horizontal-tb grid inside a column: does it use its
     leftmost column's baseline or its rightmost column's baseline?

> I think it would be a waste of a nice feature to restrict baseline
> alignment to the inline axis only.  Especially now that Grid (and
> Tables) have well-defined baselines in both axis.

What are some examples where you think this would be a useful feature?

~fantasai