Re: [CSSWG] Minutes Telecon 2016-08-17 [css-align] [css-grid] [css-flexbox] [css-scroll-snap] [css-tables]

On 08/18/2016 02:52 AM, Dael Jackson wrote:
 > Wrong assumptions about baselines only occurring in the inline axis
 >
 >   <Rossen> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/197
 >   fantasai: Mats pointed out we define block-axis baselines and
 >             there's restrictions on how they applied so he filed
 >             issues to remove them.

To be clear: I requested that the *restrictions* be removed; in other
words: that baseline alignment should be symmetrical in both axis.

 >             In the process of trying to do
 >             that...we checked in a bunch of changes and fremy was
 >             concerned. Last week we talked about a bunch of this
 >             stuff and came up with reason it won't work.

Could you list which problems you came up with in detail, please?

I think it would be a waste of a nice feature to restrict baseline
alignment to the inline axis only.  Especially now that Grid (and
Tables) have well-defined baselines in both axis.

/Mats