Re: [css-fonts] Font family selection

On Wed, 2016-08-31 at 13:11 -0700, Myles C. Maxfield wrote:
> Sites rely on the current behavior of the interaction of font weight
> / style during font selection. Last time I changed something similar
> in WebKit, many webpages broke and I had to revert the change.

It would, however, be able to add something e.g. to @font-face, or an
additional property, or to extend the font family syntax.

Consider being able to say,
    font-family: "Caslon" { foundry: Adobe; has: small-caps, regular,
italic }, "Times", "serif";
and only using Caslon if it's the right one (there are hundreds) and
the user has the necessary weights and features.

Even with downloaded fonts, this sort of thing would still be useful
especially in the case that the fonts didn't download and a fallback
must be chosen.

Liam

--
Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org>