Re: Var for scrollbar size

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 9:16 AM, Daniel Buchner <danieljb2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Dub Stylers!
>
> Not sure why I never thought of this all the times I have needed it, but
> after running into it again today I started wondering why there isn't a var
> in CSS that represents scrollbar size?
>
> I would love to have a var like currentColor that stands for the scrollbar
> size; it would really help in layouts where you want to prevent snap from
> scrollbar appearance, accounting for fixed element overlap of non-viewport
> scrollable elements, etc.
>
> So how 'bout it, anyone up for scrollbarSize? :)
>
> Let me know what you think,

Yup, we've discussed this internally, and it came up at the last f2f.
I recommend adding it as a new unit, like "1scrollbar"; that lets the
value work in calc() without depending on us finally fixing the "allow
keywords in calc()" issue. ^_^

We'd have to define what happens when you're doing custom scrollbars
and have them set to different sizes.  We *could* do two units, one
for each, but that seems overcomplicated for a super-minority case
(that seems like it'd be ugly, anyway). Maybe just make it be the
larger of the two?

~TJ