Re: [css3-values][css3-speech] dB & calc()

> On 09 May 2016, at 18:18, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 9:04 AM, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> In CSS2015 [1], there is a link to css3-values and css3-speech
>> In css3-speech, voice-volume defines a new unit, dB [2], and this
>> to the following questions:
>>
>> Why isn’t dB in css3-values ?
>
> Not all units go in V&U; we put things there when they're generally
> applicable across specifications.  <volume> is currently only used in
> one spot, so there hasn't been much call for it to be put in a more
> general spec.
>
> (This isn't a hard-and-fast rule; <frequency> is only used in one spot
> too, but it was part of CSS 2.1 so we went ahead and put it into V&U.)

Ok, fair enough. I tried to find numbers for the implementations of aural CSS
in CSS 2.1 and css3-speech, but failed to find informations.

>> Why calc() can’t apply to dB (as currently written in css3-values)
>> Is 0 an acceptable value for 0dB like for other units ?
>> Thanks,
>
> It hasn't been specced to do so yet, but we could if necessary.  Since
> there are no other <volume> units, right now the only thing you could
> do with it is write out fractions rather than expanding it into
> harder-to-read decimal expressions.

Yes, or increment with percentages, if applicable.

On another topic (CSS Snapshot 2015), are SVG-related CSS properties considered out of CSS ?
There are no mention of them in CSS2015.
Thanks,

        ~~Yves