Re: [css-scroll-snap] [css-snappoints] Renaming scroll-snap-area to scroll-snap-margin

On 05/09/2016 10:16 AM, Matt Rakow wrote:

> Going through the diff and saw you are requesting to change
> back to scroll-snap-area now -- any reasoning for the change
> back?  I don't have any particular preference for one vs.
> the other but would prefer to avoid editing back and forth
> multiple times.

No, we absolutely want to keep scroll-snap-margin as the name
of the property. The problem is that you're calling the rectangle
formed by its edges as the "scroll snap margin", and that's a
misleading term. We named that concept the "scroll snap area",
because it includes the border-box area, not just the area
defined by the values of the scroll-snap-margin.

In other words, if the border box of an element is

   +------------+
   |            |
   |            |
   +------------+

and it has a scroll-snap-margin of 1 unit, then the term “scroll
snap margin” to me implies the area outside the border-box bu
inside the scroll-snap-margin--defined edges:

  ################
  #+------------+#
  #|            |#
  #|            |#
  #+------------+#
  ################

Rather than the entire area of the rectangle so defined:

Does that make sense? The area that is being snapped is that
entire rectangle, not just the thickness of the scroll-snap-margin
itself.

~fantasai