RE: [css-tables] New table specification in development, what the goals for this spec are

Le 2016-03-07 23:56, Greg Whitworth a écrit :

>> - - - - -
>>
>> "
>> table-row-group (In HTML: TBODY)
>>      Specifies that an element groups one or more rows.
>> "
>> 2.1. Table Structure
>> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-tables-3/#table-structure
>>
>> This would have to be changed (and should be changed) into:
>>
>>      Specifies that an element groups zero or more rows.
>>
>> HTML4 said 1 or more.

<!ELEMENT TBODY    O O (TR)+           -- table body -->
means start tag is Optional, end tag is Optional and that at least one
table row is required.
https://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#edef-TBODY

>> HTML5 says 0 or more.

"
The table, thead, tbody, tfoot, tr, ol, ul and dl elements are allowed
to be empty in HTML.
"

Differences from HTML4
Living Document — Last Updated 13 April 2015
4 Content Model
https://html-differences.whatwg.org/#content-model

"
Content model:
     Zero or more tr (...)
"
4 The elements of HTML
4.9 Tabular data
4.9.5 The tbody element
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/tables.html#the-tbody-element

>> Search for "Chris Rebert" and "empty <tbody>" for this.
>>
>> [CSS21][CSS22][css-tables][css3-tables] Table sanity/regression
>> testcase
>> needs review http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-
>> style/2015Jul/0392.html
>
> Thanks!! I've added an issue inline for this one so I can just do a
> quick double check of the specs and then swap it out and opened an
> issue: https://drafts.csswg.org/css-tables-3/issues-ed-20160202.html
>

>> - - - - -

>> 2.4. Spanning
>>   We should define how spanning works.
>> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-tables-3/#spanning
>>
>> Quick rowspanning test (with minimal code):
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/rowspanning-
>> cell-challenge-001.html
>>
>> Expected result (approximate table layout):
>>
>>      +-----------+-----------+
>>      |           |C          |
>>      |A          +-----------+
>>      |           |           |
>>      |           |D          |
>>      +-----------+           |
>>      |B          |           |
>>      +-----------+-----------+
>>

>> Actual result (approximate table layout) in many browsers (Firefox 44,
>> Opera
>> 12.16, IE11) (don't know about Edge14)
>>
>>      +-----------+-----------+
>>      |           |           |
>>      |A          |C          |
>>      |           |           |
>>      +-----------------------+
>>      |           |           |
>>      |B          |D          |
>>      |           |           |
>>      +-----------------------+
>>
>> Whether 'table-layout: fixed' is declared or not makes no difference.
>>

> Not sure what you're point is here (sorry if I missed it),

My main point is: Chrome 49 is the only browser that renders the
rowspanning-cell-challenge-001.html as expected. That test has minimal
CSS code and minimal HTML table elements. And declaring 'table-layout:
fixed' or not declaring 'table-layout: fixed' in that test is irrelevant
since 'table-layout: fixed' only has a predictable impact on the
horizontal formatting of a table element.

> besides
> that we need to define and agree how spanning, and subsequently the
> width/height calculations should be done in regards to spanning.

That's it.

3.4.3 The Caption-Side property
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-tables-3/#caption-side-property

Firefox also supports 'top-outside' and 'bottom-outside' values for
caption-side:

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/CaptionSide-writing-modes-dhtml.html

Gérard