[letter-spacing] clarification needed

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 15:08:48 -0800
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
>From css2 <https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/text.html#propdef-letter-spacing>

"This property specifies spacing behavior *between* text characters"

Yet css3 Text Module
<https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-3/#letter-spacing-property> adds even
more:

"Letter-spacing must *not* be applied *at the beginning or at the end of a
line*."

But what if an inline <span> has letter-spacing set and its sibling runs
has no or different letter-spacing?

As far as I understand it should be render this way:

But Chrome (and all other UAs) render it as this:

Do we need to clarify letter-spacing further or that would be too much to
ask?

Test case: http://terrainformatica.com/w3/letter-spacing.htm

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.