[css-page | css-box model] margin-inside / margin-outside

From: Christin Götz | pagina GmbH <christin.goetz@pagina-tuebingen.de>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 09:20:22 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
Cc: Tobias Fischer | pagina GmbH <tobias.fischer@pagina-tuebingen.de>
Hei,

I’m working in book industry and my daily business is to set up CSS for
paged media. I have come across some shortcomings with the CSS paged
media specs recently and want to let you know about this:

To control the "outer" margin for an element on a page (depending on
whether the element is rendered on a right or left page), it would be
great if the "margin" property could be extended by two new properties
"margin-inside" and "margin-outside".

Prince XML already implemented this with the following properties:
* http://www.princexml.com/doc/properties/margin-inside/
* http://www.princexml.com/doc/properties/margin-outside/

An implementation of such property would make it easier to set up a
paged media CSS for different rendering engines. At the moment you need
different CSS settings for each render engine to achieve the described
formatting.

Kind regards,
Christin

--