Re: @else in Media Queries

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 07:41:44 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Right. Theoretically, sure, it's more robust, but it's the exact same
> situation every other programming language has with something like:
>
> if(...) {
> }
> if(...) {
> }
> else {
> }
>
> If you mistakenly delete only the middle if, the program will change
> meaning, sure.  But in practice this doesn't seem to be anywhere near
> hazardous enough to warrant protecting people against.  People just
> don't screw this up very often.

Maybe containment makes sense in the OM but not in the syntax. Can't we
have it both ways?

Given this stylesheet:

@media (...) { ... }
@else { ... }

...the OM contains only one CSSMediaRule, no sibling. Instead that rule
has a property .else that points to the CSSElseRule (which can itself have
further .else, and also a property to point to its owner). So if you
remove the @media rule in the OM, the @else rule is removed with it.

I suppose it is a bit confusing to have the syntax and OM have different
structure, but I thought I'd bring it up as a possible way forward.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software