RE: [css-grid] Subgrids considered essential

From: Francois Remy <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 13:17:46 -0800
To: <robert@ocallahan.org>, "'Eric A. Meyer'" <eric@meyerweb.com>
CC: "'CSS WG'" <www-style@w3.org>
> I have no strong opinion on the merits of subgrids and
> I look forward to seeing examples where subgrids are
> the best solution.
>
> Rob

What do you think of the ProductGrid demo?

That seems to me a very legitimate use case which only subgrids can achieve
properly, as far as I know.
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2016Jan/0159.html

Also, display:contents may or may not work in a bunch of cases. It works
fine if the element you suppress has no rendering, but does not work if you
want it to have a background or more (like a <button> where you want to
register to clicks, etc...)

Best regards,
Francois