[css3-images] A value for image-rendering to request high-quality rendering

From: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 12:04:12 -0800
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
The values for image-rendering[1] have a way to request a lower-quality rendering (pixelated), and some kind of edge enhancement to improve contrast (crisp-edges) that I’m not sure anyone will implement.

What it’s lacking is a way for the author to indicate to the UA that the author really wants higher-quality image rendering, and is willing to take a performance hit to achieve it.

WebKit has a code path that reduces image rendering quality for images that are being painted frequently, in order to improve things like window resize performance, but this can cause ugly image pixelation in some pages. We currently use "image-rendering: optimizeQuality" as a signal to avoid this quality reduction. However, the spec now says that optimizeQuality should be treated like ‘auto’, so if I follow the spec, we lose this useful value.

So I think we need some new value for image-rendering that means “high-quality”.

Simon

[1] https://drafts.csswg.org/css-images-3/#the-image-rendering