Re: [css-page-floats] Fallback behavior of clear:block-start/etc

Hi,

I think "clear: block-start" and "clear: block-end" will be useful
for normal block-level elements or inline floats if they have the
following meanings:

(my proposal)

block-start
    If applied to a block-level element (or inline floats),
    it ensures that any floats preceding the block in document order
    don't exceed the beginning of the block,
    and when the block has force column/region/page break-before,
    it ensures that any floats preceding the block don't appear
    in the same or following column/region/page.

    If applied to a page float, ....

block-end
    If applied to a block-level element (or inline floats),
    it ensures that any floats preceding or within the block
    in document order don't exceed the end of the block.
    (This can be used for "clearfix".)

    If applied to a page float, ....

both-inline
    Behave like inline-start and inline-end.
both-block
    Behave like block-start and block-end.
both
    Behave like both-inline.
all
    Behave like both-block and both-inline.

Example:
  article {
    clear: all;
  }

  <article>
    <h1>First article</h1>
    <figure>...</figure>
  </article>
  <article>
    <h1>Second article</h1>
  </article>

The "clear: all" ensures that the figures in the first article don't
intrude into the second article even if the figures have any float
properties (float-defer, etc.).

--
Shinyu Murakami

Johannes Wilm <johannes@fiduswriter.org> wrote on 2016/01/24 4:21:18