Re: [mediaqueries] overflow-block/inline

On 02/07/2016 10:19 PM, Florian Rivoal wrote:

>> On Feb 6, 2016, at 03:25, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>>
>> While I'm sympathetic to the differences between block and inline overflow,
>> and it may indeed be necessary sometimes to query them independently,
>> I think it's probably easier for authors if we provide a simple 'overflow'
>> query:
>>
>> overflow: none | scroll | scroll-page | page
>>
>> where the author assumption is that if it's 'page', then there's no
>> inline scrolling, although the UA may allow it.
>>
>> Also, I suggest the following renamings:
>> paged -> page for grammatic consistency with scroll
>> optional-paged -> scroll-page because it does both, it's not just paging
>
> I think overflow-inline is secondary to overflow-block, so picking favorites
> and calling overflow-block overflow may be reasonable.
>
> But whether we want it now or later, the inline direction also has differences,
> and they are not reliably guessed from the block direction. Block scroll does
> not necessarily imply inline scroll, nor does block page necessarily imply a
> lack of inline scrolling. For instance:
>
> * A unix terminal or a roll printer are scroll in the block direction,
>    but not in the inline direction
>
> * an interactive ebook reader can be paged in the block direction, while still
>    offering a scrolling metaphor in the inline direction if something overflows.
>
> I don't have a big issue prioritizing one over the other, or working on the naming,
> but I don't think we can drop the overflow-inline aspect entirely and still cover
> the problem space.

Okay. I think we should prioritize the block overflow aspect, then,
and give it an easy-to-use name. :)

Making assumptions about inline overflow is of course not perfectly
accurate--I'm not saying it is--but definitely not as significant
from an authoring perspective. I would even go so far as to suggest
that it be deferred until there is some demand for it, but I wouldn't
object to leaving it in the draft.

~fantasai