Re: [css-color] wider/deeper colors

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 20:03:55 +0100
To: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
CC: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Hello Simon,

>> On Feb 16, 2016, at 10:12 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
>> I thought this discussion was about use of a color profile for
>> conversion of input colors specified in CSS.  But this requirement
>> sounds like you're talking about conversion of colors to the color
>> space of the output device.

> It’s the former,

Yes

> but maybe Chris thinks that once this is
> available, people will use it to make print-targeted content that
> “hardcodes” the colorspace of the output device?

They might (although they could also do that with the existing
device-cmyk() functionality. It is still an input color though, and
can be converted to other colors 9like for on-screen preview of a
print-targetted styling).

Unlike device-cmyk it is not hardcoded. It can be changed. It just
happens to be a null transform, for a particular output device.

--
Best regards,
 Chris  Lilley