Re: [css-variables] Why so inefficient?

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 15:59:20 +1100
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, darkdragon <darkdragon-001@web.de>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
fantasai:
> I'm not convinced restriction is worth the cost. Imho a bare --foo
> should be valid as a variable use. If fallbacks are needed, then they
> can be provided with functional notation.
>
> If I was designing from scratch, we could have
>   width: --foo;
>   width: fallback(--foo, 20px);
> but failing that I guess
>   width: --foo;
>   width: var(--foo, 20px);
> is fine.

Yes, that is also what I’d do if designing from scratch. :-)
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2015Nov/0039.html  But as
I mention at the bottom of that mail, you would need a way to mention
custom properties without them expanding, for transition-property.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/