Re: [cssom] computed style for flex-basis (as in getComputedStyle())

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 16:08:25 -0800
To: Christian Biesinger <cbiesinger@google.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 5:02 PM, Christian Biesinger
<cbiesinger@google.com> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I was looking at https://drafts.csswg.org/cssom/#resolved-value today.
> I was wondering if flex-basis should be added to the list of resolved
> values? In many ways it is similar to width/height. I'm not
> necessarily arguing for its inclusion, was just wondering if that was
> considered.

In general, we try not to grow that list, even if a property seems
thematically similar to ones that are already there.  We've only added
more properties a few times, for ad hoc reasons - for example, the
grid-definition-* properties were *accidentally* put on the list in
the IE implementation, and they requested that we keep that in the
spec, so we did.

This does mean the gCS() return value is inconsistent and hard to use,
but shrug, it's always been that way and we can't reasonably fix it.