Re: [css-pseudo][css-ui] Allow to control selection width related to letter-spacing

On 2 February 2016 at 15:55, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/2/16 14:37, Sebastian Zartner wrote:
>
>> Use case: I have an input field, which has a background image visually
>> putting each character into a box. When the text cursor is moved to the
>> end of the field, i.e. after number 9, it moves the display of the
>> numbers to the left, so that they don't fit into the boxes anymore. See
>> this example:
>>
>> data:text/html,<input maxlength="5"
>> style="box-sizing:content-box;width:17.1ch;border:1px solid
>> black;background-image:repeating-linear-gradient(to right, transparent,
>> transparent 1.72ch, gray 1.72ch, gray 1.82ch);padding:0
>> 0.4ch;font-family:monospace;font-size:6ch;letter-spacing:0.8ch;"
>> value="0123456789">
>>
>> So, what would be needed to get a better UX, could be either:
>> - define that the letter spacing doesn't affect the last character
>>

> FWIW, CSS Text already says[1] that "[l]etter-spacing must not be applied
> at the beginning or at the end of a line".

Ah, good to know!
Though I assume completely forbidding letter-spacing at the end of a line
may also not be desirable, as that will result in the text cursor being at
a different place than the character when you enter or remove one at the
end.

But AFAIK neither Gecko nor Blink currently implements this correctly per
> spec.

Correct.

Sebastian