Re: [css-text-decor] Emphasis marks and font variant

From: Ken Lunde <lunde@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 21:27:14 +0000
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
CC: Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Daggett John <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Elika,

Two things should happen when applying the 'ruby' GSUB feature. One is to get the substituted glyphs, which are specifically tuned for ruby use. For some fonts, such as Adobe-Japan1-4 and greater Japanese ones, the 'ruby' GSUB feature will return different glyphs. For other fonts, such as Kenten Generic, it's a no-op because the glyphs are already tuned for ruby use. The other thing that needs to happen is for the client to scale the glyphs, usually to 50%. This is outside the scope of the OpenType 'ruby' GSUB feature.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think that the answer is yes. For some fonts, different glyphs will be returned (Adobe-Japan1-4 and greater), and for other fonts, the feature is not supported, which results in a no-op (Kenten Generic). In both cases, the glyphs, whether substituted or not, need to be scaled.

Best...

-- Ken