Re: Testsuite flags

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 7:15 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> On 08/17/2016 09:48 PM, Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
>> I'm also going to point out that as we try and converge on
>> web-platform-tests policies we're going to end up requiring "-manual"
>> filename suffixes on all tests flagged with animated, font, history,
>> interact, paged, speech, or userstyle. We may want to drop some of these
>> prior to that, however (or rather, more likely, say "these are
>> deprecated and should be treated identically to interact").
>

> I think it's reasonably likely that some UA will have an automated way
> to handle animated tests at some point. So it seems reasonable to keep
> that separate.

Do you have any evidence for this? :)

As far as I'm aware, nobody has any intent to do so. While it's
theoretically plausible, it's also hard to generalise well. You're
also then getting into performance testing of things like animations,
which is a massive can-of-worms (especially if you're offloading
animations to the GPU).

> Paged tests can be automated in Gecko. The are not manual.
>
> Speech would be good to distinguish. They're likely to be handled
> in a separate run from everything else.
>
> Userstyle, history, and interact can maybe be collapsed. Though IIRC
> the first two can be automated, just not without proprietary testing
> infrastructure--and for that reason we may want them kept distinct.

History we probably want to eventually automate, but that goes for
most interactive tests. There's some intention long-term to use
WebDriver to automate many of the presently manual tests. In the short
term we may as well conflate them. Though maybe we do want to keep
history, and leave it, like scroll, up to implementers who care to
keep it up to date. userstyle is probably the hardest given UA support
varies and UAs support it in various different ways.

/gsnedders