Re: Testsuite flags

Le 2016-08-18 00:48, Geoffrey Sneddon a écrit :
> (Bcc'd public-css-testsuite; can we please keep responses on a single
> mailing list, in this case www-style as it's about a WG resolution?)
>
> At the F2F in May, we decided to do this on the list, so, uh, here
> goes:
>
> We currently have a whole load of flags, documented over at
> <http://testthewebforward.org/docs/css-metadata.html>:
>
> * ahem
> * animated
> * asis

'asis' flag is supposed prevents reserialization. If the source code,
for example, uses &#xFF12;&#xFF18; (full width characters), then I
should see, read character entity in the built tests... but it does not;
we get 28 instead of 28 (note how difficult it can be to distinguish
non-full width characters from full width characters; therefore the use
of character entities).

Eg
[src, test]
http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/full-width-002.html

[built, test]
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/full-width-002.htm

> * combo
> * dom
> * font
> * history

'history' flag was mostly to be used for testing :link versus :visited
links.

> * HTMLonly
> * http
> * image
> * interact
> * invalid
> * may
> * namespace
> * nonHTML
> * paged
> * scroll
> * should
> * speech
> * svg
> * userstyle
> * 32bit
> * 96dpi
>
> I believe we have rough consensus to drop:
>
> * ahem
> * http
> * image
> * namespace
> * svg
> * 32bit
> * 96dpi
>
> ahem is something we should just rely on as an assumption for the whole
> testsuite (this is the status-quo for web-platform-tests)
>
> http is redundant as we move to .headers files and away from .htaccess,
> as you can trivially statically determine the property
>
> image, namespace, and svg are all catering for theoretical UAs that
> don't implement the respective features.
>
> 32bit is similar, insofar as nobody is aware of any current UA that
> doesn't use 32bit integers everywhere.

Konqueror, Opera 12.17 and possibly a few other UAs do not support 32bit
z-index values; that's why the 32bit flag was introduced. But I do not
really care; we can drop 32bit flag.

> 96dpi has been entirely redundant since CSS 2.1 defined 1 CSS inch to
> equal 96px.
>
> In addition to this, once we drop the build system, asis, HTMLonly, and
> nonHTML can be nuked because they become meaningless, as they exist
> only
> to control it.
>
> This leaves us with:
>
> * animated
> * combo
> * dom
> * font
> * history
> * interact
> * invalid
> * may
> * paged
> * scroll
> * should
> * speech
> * userstyle
>
> Now, without rough consensus:
>
> I think we should drop combo. We added it for the sake of CR-exit
> criteria and because we had some tests that were just the sum of
> others.
> We probably can use case-by-case judgement better than we can the flag
> to do anything here.
>
> I think we can drop dom, because script can be statically detected
> easily enough (i.e., is there a <script> element?). I think Florian had
> some edge-case he was concerned with around here? (I want to say that
> was as far back as TPAC last year he mentioned that to me!)
>
> I'd like to drop font, and vastly reduce the number of tests that
> require fonts to be installed by just relying on @font-face more (I
> hope
> we've reached a point where we can rely on it now!). Obviously we can't
> completely eliminate having to install fonts, but we can make it rare.

I would agree but we could offer to use some specific fonts. Eg.
NotoSansDeseret-Regular.ttf
which is needed in some tests. I'm sorry... I do not have time to
elaborate right now on this and other points of your email ...

Gérard (in a hurry)