Re: i18n-ISSUE-362: [css-counter-styles] In the document language

On 25/09/2015 02:37, Martin J. Dürst wrote:
> A simple example of what I mean:
>
> <ol lang='en'>
>    <li>First</li>
>    <li lang='fr'>Second</li>
>    <li>Third</li>
> </ol>
>
> If this is rendered as:
>
> 1. First
> 2. Second
> 3. Third
>
> and the numbers are spoken as numbers, then I'd expect this to be read:
>
> 'one' First
> 'deux' Second
> 'three' Third
>
> and not:
>
> 'one' First
> 'deux' Second
> 'trois' Third
>
> which would be what "the language most recently declared" would imply.

Martin,

i think the language of the numbering should be that of the linguistic
context of the list as a whole, and not determined by the content of the
list item.

In many cases that will quite possibly be the language of the document,
but in the case of, say, a bilingual document in Quebec with parallel
content in both english and french, or a forum with multilingual
context may be determined by language information at the sub-document level.

I can't see a justification for the content of the list item to
influence the pronunciation of the bullet, and i think it would be
confusing to readers to change the language of the numbering.

> Another question: Are there languages where we need to be able to
> distinguish between reading numbers as ordinals and as cardinals? Or
> languages where there are other distinctions between numbers that may
> have to be made?

I suspect that there are some languages where ordinals are used rather
than cardinals, but i expect that in that case the audio generated by
the implementation would just take that into account naturally, no?

ri