Re: [selectors] Suggestion for :focus-ring pseudoclass

> On 25 Sep 2015, at 03:06, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 6:59 AM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>> This seems to make sense. It builds off the same internal model that the input modality pseudo used, and exposes it in a syntax that is more to the point when trying to address the primary (only?) use case: the focus ring.
>
> And, nicely, actually requires no new logic or state; the browser
> already knows when it's showing a focus ring.

Right. The spec should stay away from trying to define when the focus ring is shown, it should only hook into the browser's existing logic for that.

>> The bit that confuses me a little is that you say "independently relevant". Do we still need the modality pseudo if we have this?
>
> That's what I'm discussing with Alice and Brian.  I'm currently of the
> opinion that, with the ability to customize how an element deals with
> focus rings, and possible better default behavior in some cases, we
> won't need anything further; they're currently thinking about
> use-cases and other possibilities that will require more
> functionality.

I'd tend to agree that as long as we can deal with focus rings, we're covered. But
it's worth exploring the other uses cases before we make a decision, because if
there are more use cases, and :focus-ring would not be enough for them, I am not
sure we want 2 different (but overlapping) mechanisms.

- Florian