Re: [selectors] Suggestion for :focus-ring pseudoclass

From: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 10:56:51 +0900
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Slightly off topic, answer, but here we go.

> Most of my buttons are actually styled <a> elements, because traditionally they've been easier to style consistently across UAs.

Hopefully this will get better with the standardization of "appearance: none" (CSS-UI-4)

> (Box shadow works better than outline, because it follows the curved corners. You can create a solid line by using spread with no blur or offsets.)

The spec for the outline (CSS-UI-3) now says that the outline SHOULD follow curved corners. Hasn't happened yet, but eventually we might no longer need the trick you mentioned.

 - Florian