attr(<identifier>)

From: Jens Oliver Meiert <jens@meiert.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 20:48:58 +0200
To: W3C WWW Validator CSS <www-validator-css@w3.org>
Cc: W3C WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>
(CC www-style for spec may be ambiguous)

The CSS validator throws parse errors for constructs like

a[href^='http']:after {
  content: ' <' attr(href) '>';
}

(Same for “content: ' \003C' attr(href) '\003E';”—both should work
from what I can tell.)

Two of the relevant documents I checked [1,2] seem blissfully unclear
about concatenation, however it appears (per samples like “string-set:
author attr(author);”) that this is, indeed, valid CSS.
Implementations (WebKit) support that notion, for the code is
supported.

Unless I’m missing something, can the validator team look into this,
and the CSS working group clarify if necessary?

Cheers,
 Jens.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-content/