Re: [css-fonts] font-weight-adjust

> On 21 Oct 2015, at 20:37, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 21/10/15 12:28, Florian Rivoal wrote:
>
>>> I'm not sure there's a problem here, is there? If the weights of
>>> MyFallback are all in the same font file (e.g. a .TTC collection),
>>> you'll need to specify which of the weights you want loaded
>>> (regardless of which weight-mapping approach is used), so just do
>>> that here:
>>>
>>> @font-face { font-family: my-favorite-font; font-weight: 400; src:
>>> url(MyFavorite.woff), url(MyFallback.ttc#1); } @font-face {
>>> font-family: my-favorite-font; font-weight: 600; src:
>>> url(MyFavoriteBold.woff), url(MyFallback.ttc#3); }
>>>
>>> or something like that. (OK, I'm not sure that any browser has yet
>>> implemented support for fragment identifiers to select faces out of
>>> .TTC collections. But in principle, this should work. And I suspect
>>> getting implementers to support this will be easier than getting
>>> support for new font-weight-adjust property.)
>>
>> I was not aware of this possibility, and I agree it would solve the
>> problem. Are specifications already clear about this, or is it
>> something we should write down?
>
> See CSS Fonts §4.3:
>
> "...container formats that can contain more than one font must load one and only one of the fonts for a given @font-face rule. Fragment identifiers are used to indicate which font to load."
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-fonts/#src-desc

Should this sentence use the word "font face" rather than "font", to be sure to lift any ambiguity?

Also, I am not particularly familiar with font file formats and font container file formats, so maybe this is a silly question, but but is that sufficient? is this fragment identified always sufficient to identify an individual font face down to 1 specific weight?

I wonder if there could be for example cases where using this fragment identifier you could pick between italic or normal, or between proportional and monospace, or between serif and sans serif, but that would still leave you with a font file containing a few font faces of different weights.

 - Florian