Re: [css-shapes] Shapes, margin clipping, and misleading examples

On Friday 2015-10-16 19:06 +0000, Alan Stearns wrote:
> On 10/15/15, 8:24 PM, "Eric A. Meyer" <eric@meyerweb.com> wrote:
> >First off, I object to this a little bit on general principles: if I
> >want a shape to stick out of the element's margin box, that seems like
> >it should be allowed.
>
> It seems like this should work (and it did in the original design), but after some discussion we arrived at the margin box clipping for a few reasons. One is that we *have* to clip at the top of the margin box. A shape-outside on a float cannot affect preceding lines. So it’s a simpler story to clip all around the box than have to explain why we’re only clipping at the top.

Is it a feasible alternative to make the bounds of the float for
layout purposes be (on each side) the farther of the margin-box or
the box enclosing the shape-outside?  In other words, if the
shape-outside goes above the top of the margin-box, the float moves
down?

(I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not; just suggesting it as an
option.)

-David

--
π„ž   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   𝄂