Re: [css-flexbox] Textarea as a flex container

On 10/12/15 9:26 PM, John Waterson wrote:
> Looking for some guidance from the flexbox spec authors as to whether
> the textarea element should, at least in theory, be able to act as a
> flex container.

<textarea> is a replaced element, so from the point of view of CSS it's
not a container of any kind.  It's a leaf, whose rendering is not
defined by CSS at all.  At least in theory; in practice UAs apply a
random set of CSS properties to the insides of <textarea> in random ways
that are not defined in any spec.

> I have already raised this question on flexbugs, and was advised to
> ask on www-style for clarification, on the reasonable grounds that
> textarea is a bit odd as a container, in that it usually only contains
> text nodes.

It doesn't, though.  Or more precisely, the text that it renders and the
text nodes that it contains in the DOM are not at all the same thing.

-Boris