Re: [css-fonts] ready attribute vs function

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 2:00 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 1:20 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> FontFace.ready() should fulfill as soon as the font is loaded.
>> FontFaceSet.ready() is required to wait until layout operations are
>> done; if it's not doing so, it's a bug and shoudl be reported.
>> (That's the *entire point* of FontFaceSet.ready() - letting you know
>> when the font-related stuff is "settled" and you can start measuring
>> things.)
>
> I agree. The font loading spec does not call out that distinction though:
>
>> The ready attribute contains a Promise which is resolved when the document
>> is done loading fonts
>
> Before I file a bug, it would be good if that is clarified in the spec.

Yes it does, in the part of the spec *that actually defines when to
resolve the promise*.  You're quoting the non-normative fluff text
describing the attribute.  Look just a little bit further down for the
actual algorithms controlling this.

(There's no way that sentence could possibly actually govern the
behavior of the promise; it's completely underspecified! I'd have to
be a terrible spec author to try and pass that off as normative text.)