Re: [css-logical-properties] the 'inline-{start,end}' values for 'float' and 'clear'

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 16:54:34 -0800
Cc: Johannes Wilm <johanneswilm@vivliostyle.com>, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Rossen Atanassov <ratan@microsoft.com>, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com>, "Elika J. Etemad" <fantasai@inkedblade.net>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>

> On Nov 13, 2015, at 2:24 PM, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We should avoid that though. Consider a case when we want to extend 1-d property to 2-d, or 1-d/2-d impls are mixed among users. So just 'start' should not have 2-d effects unless other properties or additional values are set.

Under my proposal, 'float: start' would be short for 'float: start none', meaning 1D effect in inline direction only.

Tab's idea was that 'float: start' would be short for 'float: start start', which would be 2D. That might have been only for the 'float-reference: <not-inline>' case though. In which case, it would be safe to use it when you had 'float-reference: inline', since that would be 1D too.