Re: [css-logical-properties] the 'inline-{start,end}' values for 'float' and 'clear'

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 9:55 PM, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/11/15 19:20, Koji Ishii wrote:
>
>> Back up a bit, the original request was "is it safe to ship
>> 1-dimensional floats with logical directional values?" and while it'd
>> be ideal to figure out the final syntax for 2-dimensional floats to
>> answer to that question, I don't think it's absolutely required, as
>> long as we can agree that:
>>
>> 1. If no other 2-dimensional-related properties are set (e.g.,
>> float-reference), and
>> 2. If either 'start' or 'end' is specified
>>
>> we will handle it as 1-dimensional logical direction.
>>
>> I think this makes sense given the consistency with 1-dimensional
>> properties such a text-align, and shipping 1-dimensional logical
>> directional values before we finalize 2-dimensional syntax is
>> beneficial. Tab's response reads to me that Tab and fantasai are fine
>> with this.
>>
>> Can we conclude on this point first?

If I understand the browser implementers correctly, they would prefer
"start"/"end" over "inline-start"/"inline-end", but we are not sure whether
that will work with the 2D model.

I think we can agree on start/end without resolving all the other things,
under one of these two circumstances:

1. We decide that start/end is only used for the inline-direction.  For the
block-direction we will potentially use block-start/block-end. If this is
not too confusing/inconsistent, then that should work.

or

2. We decide that the current, "inline" floats will always be 1
dimensional. If we want to have a 2D float within a container of some kind
at some point in the future, we will have to have a difference
float-reference value for that. Also, we may end up using
inline-start/inline-end for those other types of floats instead of
"start"/"end", and we are OK with this inconsistency.

My understanding from Fantasai's latest emails is that her and Tab still
have to spend some time looking at floats more in depth, so it is too early
to get a final word from them on what they believe the logical directions
should be called.