Re: [css-logical-properties] the 'inline-{start,end}' values for 'float' and 'clear'

On Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sent from my iPad
> On Nov 7, 2015, at 10:20 AM, Johannes Wilm <johannes@fiduswriter.org>
> wrote:
>
> So apparently traditional floats can be involved with these properties
>> somewhat, though it isn't clear to what extent. Does floating an inline
>> float to a column turn it into an exclusion?
>>

> Inline floats stay inline floats. They don't change. They behave as they
> do now.
>
> Floats with a float reference of a column are not inline floats. They are
> page floats.
>

> OK, I wasn't getting that. It is explained pretty subtly for such a major
> thing. Now I see that what you've been calling 'inline floats' in your
> emails are those with 'float-reference:inline', not just those with 'float:
> inline-left' and 'float: inline-right' (or the physical versions).

Did you read the first few paragraphs of the specification? They should
make it pretty clear.

As for the name: "page floats" is the name it originally had before I
started editing it. The first issue in the spec is about that it should
probably be changed.

But I agree, that it would be even better if in the list of definitions
there were an entry for "page float" and one for "inline float". That way
it should be harder to get confused about it.

> The text saying 'Floats that are not inline floats should behave the same
> as absolutely positioned exclusions...' is very far away from the
> float-reference property, almost at the end of the spec. (I don't think the
> term "inline floats" is ever defined as those with
> 'float-reference:inline'. It wasn't obvious to me.) You should put that
> whole sentence into the 'float-reference' property description, but instead
> of "Floats that are not inline floats" it should be "when float-reference
> is not 'inline'".
>
> Also, in section 6, the beginning of the sentence should be  "When
> float-reference is not 'inline'", instead of just "Floats". I'd move that
> to the float-reference definition too.
>
> I will change that to "Page floats".

> I still don't like the idea of an inline float becoming an exclusion just
> because I wanted to move it to the top or bottom of the page or container,
> or that the container must be a fragment, but at least this would at least
> go far towards making the spec more clear.
>

> Also, I do not see anything that says 'float-offset' only applies to
> non-inline-reference floats.  'Float defer' does say it is for "page
> floats", but that term isn't defined either, and is mislead anyway, since
> it presumably works with columns and regions too.

I will make sure to add that the float-offset also specifies that it only
applies to page floats.

--
Johannes Wilm
Fidus Writer