Re: [css-writing-modes-3] Defer auto-muticol behavior in Auto-sizing Block Containers in Orthogonal Flows

By the way, allow me to do one clarification, as I may still
misunderstand something.

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 7:46 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> The only reason for "auto-multicol" is to handle the case of "infinite
> inline-axis space" in a way that's not super user-hostile.  The naive
> behavior *is* extremely user-hostile; it effectively makes the
> orthogonal element max-content in the inline axis (requiring the user
> to scroll back and forth to read lines of text; we all know how
> terrible this is when reading some accidentally-long <pre> text) and,
> if there's enough block-axis content, overflowing in the page's
> secondary scrolling direction (the one that's annoying to scroll in).
> That situation never occurs anywhere except orthogonal flows, because
> the inline axis space is always finite when all the writing modes
> match.

I'm all good for UA to handle "infinite inline-axis space". I agree we should.

What I'm suggesting here is for UA not to handle the overflow in block
direction automatically and forcibly.

Was this point clear?

/koji