Re: [css-grid] Grid-Template-Areas and dot sequences

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 13:44:38 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On 05/15/2015 02:28 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 3:04 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 9:15 AM, François REMY
>> <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I’ve a small change proposal for the css grid syntax: allowing multiple dots not separated by a space to represent a single cell.
>>>
>>> Here’s an example:
[...]
>>>      “.... HEAD .... .... ”
>>>      “.... MAIN .... PANE ”
[...]
> The WG resolved in favor, and I've made the change to the spec.

Am I correct in understanding that this:
  grid-template-areas: ..MAIN;
would be interpreted the same as this (with a space after the dots):
  grid-template-areas: .. MAIN;

In other words -- I think a sequence of dots, followed immediately by a
cell-name, is valid & is equivalent to the same value with a space
inserted between the dots and the cell-name. Is that right?

(Relevant spec section is:
 http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-grid/#grid-template-areas-property
This section mentions "longest match semantics", and includes "a
sequence of whitespace" as one of the possible tokens, but doesn't seem
to require whitespace between other tokens.)

Thanks,
~Daniel