Re: [css-break] Breaks and list items

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 07:44:41 -0700
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>

> On May 17, 2015, at 12:16 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>
>> On 03/22/2015 01:55 PM, Brady Duga wrote:
>> Break inside/after says:
>> # Always force a break (of all possible types, through all
>> # fragmentation contexts) before/after the  principal box"
>> and "any" has similar text. How does this work when an element
>> generates more than just a principal box? CSS 2.1 gives
>> list-items as a case where this can happen, but isn't very
>> clear on how it works.
>
> An element generates at most one principal box. List items
> and tables generate two *boxes* but only one of these boxes
> is the principal box.

Right, but that doesn't answer the question. Supposing that the list item market is like a previous sibling (I don't think it is, I think it's inside the principal box, but supposing there is an element that generates a non-principal box outside the principal box), I think Brady is asking if the text of the spec is enough to ensure the break doesn't break between the two boxes.