Re: [css-grid][css-align] Intrinsic size of replaced elements, and no shrink-to-fit algorithm

On 15/05/15 23:38, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>>> the default value of all the align properties in the case of a grid, though.

>>> Just read the spec; "auto" computes to "stretch", and "stretch" makes it
>>> match the size of the alignment container (without regard as to whether it's
>>> bigger or smaller).
>>
>> Hum, this isn't what I implemented. I am pretty sure this was the behavior I initially implemented and I got feedback this wasn't the expected behavior. In particular, both IE and Chrome seem not to shrink-to-fit by default.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>
> What the spec now says and what early implementations are doing don't
> always match up. ^_^

This reminds me to this thread:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2014Dec/0312.html

The conclusion I got but that time was that even if grid items have
"stretch" by default, they're rendered as inline-blocks so they do not
shrink to fit. Maybe I'm missing something.

My 2 cents,
  Rego