Re: [css-lists] feedback

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 2:03 PM, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Most pages don't use 16px, but only 13px for their default font size (so 40
> px is already 3em).

If you don't specify a font-size, browsers all default to 16px (unless
the user has set up their preferences otherwise).  A lot of pages
don't mess with body-text size; among those that do, I doubt 13px is
the most common value.

> It has the advantages that when using <big> or similar,
> the bullets or numbers of list items will not be truncated or invisible (in
> my opinion this is a defect of HTML if it still maintains that a static size
> of 40px has to be used).

Yeah, it probably is a defect, but that doesn't mean we can change it.

> Page designers already know that this 40px size is extremely bad, so they
> redefine it immediately in their base stylesheet, most frequently like this
>
>   ol, ul { padding-left: 3em; }

As far as I know, this is not a common practice. Most (likely, nearly
all) pages leave list padding alone.

~TJ