Re: [css-grid] repeat(auto) issue

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 15:35:38 -0700
To: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Cc: CSS WG <www-style@w3.org>
[btw, can you use the standard plain-text quoting character ">"
instead of "±"?  The latter isn't recognized as blockquoting by most
tools.]

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 1:56 PM, François REMY
<francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:
> Tab Atkins said:
>> Oh!  You mean that you may or may not have enough items to fill a single
>> line, and if you don't have enough, you'd like the grid to only generate as
>> many columns as needed?
>
> Exactly ^_^ I thought it would be clear with my initial mail:
>
>> If I want the amount of repetitions to be constrained by a max-width
>> constrain AND by the amount of repetitions required to display all items
>> of the grid (to preserve the right horizontal centering), then I’m out
>> of luck right now.

We discussed this, and we agree it's a reasonable use-case.  We could
perhaps branch the repeat(auto,...) syntax to have two auto keyword,
"auto-fill" and "auto-fit", where auto-fit automatically drops empty
repetitions after placement but before layout.  We'll need to give it
some more thought and ask the WG what they think.

~TJ and fantasai