Re: [css-flexbox] intrinsic sizing

On 04/06/2015 09:24 AM, Christian Biesinger wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> got a question about http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-flexbox/#intrinsic-sizes
>
> It says "For each flex item, subtract its flex base size from its
> max-content contribution size"
>
> However, doesn't calculating the flex base size require laying out the
> item? I didn't think that calculating intrinsic widths should require
> layout?

It does in some cases, for example orthogonal flows. We changed the wording
that defines "flex base size" a bit:

   # available space using its used flex basis in place of its main size...

Hopefully this should make it more clear that layout isn't required
unless it's required (to find the size). :)

Let me know if that addresses your concern.

> My second question is:
> "Place all flex items into lines of infinite length."
>
> If we place them on lines of infinite length, doesn't that mean we
> have just a single line?

As dholbert pointed out, forced page/column breaks can introduce
forced flex line breaks. Note this only happens for column flex
containers. (Forced breaks on flex items in a row get propagated
to the row.)

~fantasai