Re: [css-syntax] Changes in "how to consume an ident-like token"

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 3:24 PM, Mattéo Delabre ✏
<matteo.delabre@outlook.fr> wrote:
> In the current draft, the 4.3.4. section differs from the last version (20
> February 2014).
> Here is the 2014 version:
>
> If the returned string’s value is an ASCII case-insensitive match for "url",
> and the next input code point is U+0028 LEFT PARENTHESIS ((), consume it.
> Consume a url token, and return it.
>

> Here is the current version:
>
> If the returned string’s value is an ASCII case-insensitive match for "url",
> and the next input code point is U+0028 LEFT PARENTHESIS ((), consume it.
> While the next two input code points are whitespace, consume the next input
> code point. If the next one or two input code points are U+0022 QUOTATION
> MARK ("), U+0027 APOSTROPHE ('), or whitespace followed by U+0022 QUOTATION
> MARK (") orU+0027 APOSTROPHE ('), then create a <function-token> with its
> value set to the returned string and return it. Otherwise, consume a url
> token, and return it.
>

> The new paragraph implies that
>
> url(http://example.com/)
>
> should become an <url-token> with the http://example.com/ value, whereas
>
> url('http://example.com')
>
> should become a <function-token> with the url value, followed by a
> <string-token> with the http://example.com/ and a <)-token>.
>
> Is it intended that an url that is enclosed in quotes should now be
> interpreted as a function rather than a url token ?

Yes, it is.  This is so we can treat url() as a normal function (as
long as you use quoted strings) and give it additional arguments, such
as Fetch parameters or link-integrity stuff.

~TJ