Re: [css-multicol][css-sizing] Intrinsic Sizes of Multi-column Elements

fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> writes:

> Been looking into the intrinsic size of multi-column elements.
> Testcase here:
>   http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/tests/multi-col/intrinsic-sizing
>
> Here's my suggestions:
>

> col-count only
>   min = #cols * min-content [of contents]
>   max = #cols * max-content
>   Implemented by: Firefox, Chrome, IE

+ the column gaps ((#cols - 1) * column-gap). Yeah, makes sense.

>   Rationale:
>     Width of columns is totally flexible,
>     so pick a size that respects min/max-content
>
> col-width only
>   min = min(col-width, min-content)
>   max = col-width
>   Implemented by: Firefox, IE
>
>   Rationale:
>     Widest possible column is column-width*2-ɛ.
>     But if columns happen to be column-width (as requested),
>     then any content outside that overflows and is clipped.
>     It makes sense that the column-width becomes a limit
>     on the content's size contribution.
>
>     The narrowest possible column is zero. If the min-content
>     is less than the column-width, then we can become that
>     small.
>
> col-width + col-count
>   min = min(col-width, min-content)
>   max = col-count * col-width

Again, don't forget the gaps.

>   Implemented by: Firefox, IE
>
>   Rationale:
>     The layout as the container gets narrower (fewer columns)
>     approaches the col-width only case (reduce columns as
>     width reduces in order to keep each column >= col-width),
>     so it makes sense to have the same behavior.
>
>     The multi-column spec wanted column-width * column-count,
>     when both were defined, to be the preferred width, and
>     the implementations reflect this. Authors would probably
>     prefer that shrink-to-fit sizing landed on this answer
>     for maxed-out cases as well.
>
> col-width + height
>   min = used col-count == 1 ?
>           min-content : column-width * used column count
>   max = column-width * used column count
>   Implemented by: Nobody

I think you'd need to lay out to find the column count here. Sounds bad.

And did you mean "actual column count" (not "used column count", BTW)?
See http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-multicol-1/#pseudo-algorithm

--
---- Morten Stenshorne, developer, Opera Software ASA ----