Re: [css-overflow] fragments vs paginate

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 18:21:39 -0700
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>

> On Mar 18, 2015, at 2:02 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I don't know if we really need a separate property for this.  It's not
> an independent concern; it only applies when you're fragmenting.  We
> could probably just (later) allow an <integer> argument after the
> "paginate" keyword, so you'd write "continue: paginate 2;" rather than
> "continue: fragments; n-up: 2;".

Hmm. Maybe, but that seems odd to me. The '2' would only apply if it was paginate, so it's mere presence would indicate that that your fragments required a control to see them all (which is mainly how paginate differs from fragment). So, I don't know how it would be better than 'continue: fragments 2;'. And if it's only advantage over 'continue: fragments; n-up: 2;' is saving some space, it doesn't seem worth it. Having a separate property seems more clear, and allows that property to be set independently.