Re: 'all' and the system focus outline

From: Alice Boxhall <aboxhall@google.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 18:54:42 -0700
To: Marat Tanalin <mtanalin@yandex.ru>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 6:30 PM, Marat Tanalin <mtanalin@yandex.ru> wrote:

> 17.03.2015, 02:22, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>:
> > The 'all' property, when you "all: initial" or "all: unset", also
> > resets the 'outline' property.  This is troublesome.
> > I don't know how to fix this. :/  We probably dont' want to exclude
> > 'outline' from being reset by 'all'.
>
> Just add an exclusion mechanism:
>
>     .example {
>         all: initial;
>         all-exclude: outline display;
>
>         /* Now we have reset all properties
>            except for `outline` and `display`. */
>     }

Ideally, though, I think we want a mechanism which doesn't require people
to take an extra action to get the default :focus (outline) style because,
as Tab pointed out, they generally won't. If we can come up with a
mechanism like this which the UA stylesheet could use such that just using
all: unset/all: initial doesn't unset the default :focus/outline style,
that would work.