Re: [css3-ui] file formats for the cursor property

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:39 AM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
> In addition to a predefined list of values, the cursor property allows authors to provide the cursor as an external file, indicated by the url() function.
>
> Unfortunately, the spec makes no mention of which file format must or should be supported. It would be nice for authors to be able to depend on something, and for test writing, having no format mandated makes things tricky.
>
> As far as I can tell, all browsers that support this notation accept the Microsoft .ico and .cur formats (.cur being essentially the same as .ico, with the addition of pointer hotspot coordinates).
>
> Given the interop, I think we should include a MUST requirement for this file format. However, this raise the question of a spec for that file format. There's this[1], but it describes an older (1995) version, and then there's a series of blog posts on "the old new thing" [2][3][4][5]. Is there anything better out there?
>
> In addition, all browsers other than IE support the usual image formats: PNG, JPG, GIF, BMP as well as SVG. I think it would be useful to push (at least with a should, preferably with a must) for at least some of these in css3-ui. I'd favor PNG and SVG, but I'm happy to include more if there's consensus.
>
> Thoughts?

Assuming that all current major browsers do support .ico and .cur, I
support requiring it with a MUST.

I also support requiring with a MUST the use of all image formats
generally accepted for the <image> type (that is, if you can use it in
'background-image', you MUST be able to use it in 'cursor' as well).
For SVG, I recommend only requiring the secure static integration mode
<https://svgwg.org/specs/integration/#secure-static-mode>, but
allowing with a SHOULD for them to support the secure animated mode.

~TJ