Re: RTL characters in Ahem

On 05/03/2015 04:42, John Daggett wrote:
 > I don't think simply adding single glyphs within certain scripts to Ahem
 > is such a great idea. Displaying Arabic or Thai requires more than just
 > single glyphs, it requires fonts with shaping information, in the form
 > of AAT, OpenType or Graphite tables. Similarly, vertical writing mode
 > support requires fonts with vertical metrics and support for vertical
 > alternates.
 >
 > For complex layout features, tests should use fonts that at least mimic
 > the core set of required features that an actual font used for content
 > would require. There might be clever type designers out there who could
 > design a pan-Arabic-CJK-Thai Ahem testing font with the full set of all
 > the proper features actual fonts would contain but it's not a simple
 > task I think. Using the full set of Noto fonts from Google [1] would be
 > a more sensible approach I think. Yes, those fonts are not a trivial
 > size but I don't really think the size of these fonts is such a big
problem.

 > Yes, you can fudge things and add glyphs to Ahem. That will allow you to
 > test some features but not others. However, those tests won't be testing
 > the same codepath used by browsers when they actually display real
 > content with real fonts with these different features enabled. Real
 > fonts are readily available. It would be better to use them instead for
 > tests.

I agree that the Ahem font isn't suitable for many types of test related
to complex or vertical scripts (for that matter, I can easily think of,
and was today working on, tests that would not be appropriate for the
Ahem font even when working in English), but I think there are tests
where it can be used effectively.

What originally kicked off this idea was the test at
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repo/run?base=css-text-3&batch=text-align&test=text-align/text-align-start-009.html
which i wanted to look like the others in the set.

Of course, for that test i needed a character with strong RTL direction.
In the end, I had to resort to using ‎ at the start of the line to
get a strong RTL character.  It works mostly, but produces a very thin
white line in IE, which will spoil automated ref testing, if that ever
happens.

What I wanted to do was just start the line with אאא... and end up with
a clean orange blob shape.

I was also imagining testing for things like grapheme cluster boundaries
with orange blobs, so that people unfamiliar with scripts like telugu or
tibetan could easily tell whether the test passed or failed.

hth

ri