Re: [css3-ui] questioning "ellipsis may occur at a text wrap opportunity" (Issue 76)

From: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 20:54:28 -0800
To: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>, dino@apple.com
On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 6:04 PM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:

>> On 21 Feb 2015, at 04:29, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 5:24 PM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>>> As for browsers already doing it in some cases, do you have a TC or something showing it? I haven't seen it, and I'd like to.
>>
>> I don't have a test-case, but I recall Dean talking about it, so
>> perhaps one of the Apple browsers does it in some situations?
>
> I do remember Dean speaking about this, but I think he was saying this is something they would support, not something they already did.

FWIW that is my recollection from the f2f as well, and the follow-up
discussion from the group was to resolve on leaving out line-break
opportunity ellipsing. I've made edits to CSS3-UI per that group
consensus.

I agree that additional such additional control over when/where
ellipsing should/could occur should go in CSS4-UI or another future
spec.

Thanks,

Tantek