Re: element existence selector

Hello,
First a general and summarized reply:

Only now I understand better what Tab Atkins said, sorry (!),
about "*fast profile*"... It is in fact a standard for CSS,

   http://www.w3.org/TR/selectors4/#fast-profile   (2013)
   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/selectors-4/#profiles   (2015)

so, we can put the discussion in this more objective terms:

1* the pseudo-selector* ":has()"*  not is a good candidate to *fast-profile*...
 (All agree with the W3C csswg 2015's draft??)

2* the suggestion of an *":hasID()" can be a good alternative to
the fast-profile*??

NOTE:  *fast-profile* is a standard, so, we MUST agree that the standard
defines a line separating fast from slow,
it is not a personal taste matter... We can imagine a standard threshold in
a standard benchmark-kit .

- - - - -
My position about item 1:
  I agree  that is not fast.
  Selector ":has()" is good for PrinceXML, but is not good for web-browsing
in a tablet.

My position about item 2:
   I understand that "e1:hasID(#id1) #id2" is faster than "e1:has(any1)
any2"
   I understand that the only-ID  reduce the risk of complexity in a
worst-case-set of selectors,
   and CSS-parsing implementations based in  *getElementById()*  is faster
than any others.
   So, an ":hasID()" pseudo-selector can be use without performance
reduction in a tablet.

- - - -
   As Henrik suggested when replying Tab, perhaps we need to "elaborate on
why it is slow"
   with worst-case examples and some benchmarking (ex. by jQuery).
   Some explanation about "why is slow" is here,
        http://stackoverflow.com/q/1817792/287948
    "(...) The document can be traversed once, matching elements as you go,
        with no need to ever go backward to adjust a match
    "

- - - -
Thanks Daniel for correct syntax, yes,
    html:has(#id1:hover) #id2

- - - -
Brian,

I not agree that "(...) there's not really a functional difference (...)"
the little difference is what decides if a selector goes to the
*fast-profile* or not,
and getElementById() is the faster (!).

krauss