[css-text-decor][css-ruby] Underline position for Japanese text with ruby

From: Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 17:25:05 -0700
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: Masayuki Nakano <masayuki@d-toybox.com>, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>, Shinyu Murakami <murakami@vivliostyle.com>
Hi,

Recently, Masayuki mentioned that, for Japanese, if a piece of text in
vertical writing mode has both ruby and underline, the underline should be
outside ruby annotation, like:

分わ|
か |
る |

However, implementors who are not aware of this will tend to implement that
as:

分|わ
か|
る|

(This is actually the current behavior of Firefox Nightly)

I know the current spec says the exact position of underline is UA-defined,
but I guess it at least worths a note. Actually, I don't think this is a
behavior could be covered by "UA-defined".

As an implementor, I feel it looks hard to implement, but probably not
something impossible.

Also it seems to me this is not mentioned in JLReq. I guess we should also
cc people there and ask their opinion about this.

- Xidorn