Re: [css-syntax][css-fonts] Wrapping up the <unicode-range> thing

On 22/06/15 17:26, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> So I think there are two ways we can handle this:
>
> 1. Abandon the project, restore <unicode-range-token>, and live with
> the fact that we have a weird almost-useless token that will
> occasionally cause problems for authors in unrelated contexts.  (We
> can't even really do something like make Selectors treat unicode-range
> specially, because it can cut selectors in pieces - "u+area" parses as
> a urange(a) ident(rea)!)

Not sure if this is a good idea, but we *could* handle that in the
Selectors grammar as well. u+a/**/rea would also parse, which we might
not want, but it’s much harder for authors to accidentally do that than u+a.

> 2. Produce a new, reliable syntax for unicode ranges, and keep around
> the old version for back-compat, with a warning that some values won't
> parse correctly.  The most obvious fix is to just replace the + with a
> -, like "U-0404", "U-400-600", or "U-4??".  This makes the entire
> thing an ident, which keeps around the characters properly (or an
> ident followed by some ? delims, which is also fine).

`unicode-range: U+04e4` works today in multiple browsers. Breaking this
seems worse than the u+a selector not working. (Introducing an
alternative unicode-range syntax will not help existing unmaintained
content.)

--
Simon Sapin